Re: MS Word outpaced by a snail

Subject: Re: MS Word outpaced by a snail
From: Karen Steele <Kstle -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 19 May 1995 10:26:49 -0400

Pete Boothby writes about MS Word
>Does anyone have similar experiences. Any ideas?
>I have tried almost all the suggestions
>Microsoft came up with (less fonts, more memory, linking Tiffs >outside of
the document,
>regenerating the permanent swap area, more disk room, etc.).

Don't feel bad. I have a Pentium/90 w/ 40M RAM & it does the same thing to
me & everyone else I have talked to.

The problem is in the Master Document. Mircosoft admitted to me (on the Help
Line) that this is a bug, they know about it, & don't know when it will be
"fixed". Sheesh! You'd think they'd care more about what we think, wouldn't
you?

I solved it by going to FrameMaker (no small task -- FrameMaker offers a Word
6.0 filter -- but Word offers NO help getting to FrameMaker.

I have been told (I don't know if it's true) that part of the problem is Word
only sees part of the memory available. The guy who told me this said that
Word only recognizes 16M of RAM. I don't see how that could be true -- but
he is a LAN administrator working the problem with me.

Good luck. And please let all of us know if you find a solution.

Karen Steele