Re: What do you call this (@ sign humor)

Subject: Re: What do you call this (@ sign humor)
From: Hanna Nelson <hanna -at- HOLYCOW -dot- PORTLAND -dot- OR -dot- US>
Date: Thu, 18 May 1995 11:04:30 -0700

On May 10, 2:22pm, Seth Greenberg wrote:
> > What do you call the circle a (@) that is commonly
> > called the AT sign? I know there is a more precise
> > name for it somewhere. Does anyone know it?

> Here, in Israel, I have, on numerous occasions, heard
> the @ referred to as the "strudel." For etymologists
> who are not familiar with strudel, it's a sweet Austrian
> dessert thats made by wrapping dough in a roll around
> apples or other sweetened foodstuffs. The @ looks like
> a cross section of a strudel.

the last time this topic was discussed on this list,
i picked up this fabulous quote from Tim Engles <TENGLES -at- UGA -dot- CC -dot- UGA -dot- EDU>:

``I suspect others will jump in with the same reply, but I've always thought
"&" is an ampersand. If not, what is it? A steve? As for what to call "@",
I'd opt for something having to do with what it looks like on my computer
screen--a happy spermatozoon."

hanna

--
Hanna Nelson hanna -at- holycow -dot- portland -dot- or -dot- us
voice: 503/232-3395 fax: 503/231-8742