Re: In and under

Subject: Re: In and under
From: Jennie Achtemichuk <jennie -dot- achtemichuk -at- MCCAW -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 17 May 1995 11:36:38 -0700

Douglas Thayer asks-->
My colleague has posed the following questions, for which I have no
authoritative answer:
In the sentence, "XXX runs in the Windows environment and under UNIX," is
there any difference in usage between "in" and "under"? Could these be swapped
without affecting the meaning of the sentence?
I think we found the answer in a posting by Stephen Victor about Multi-platform
docs (another topic): "Frame runs on UNIX, Mac, and Windows platforms . . . "
This is actually how Frame, the manufacturer of FrameMaker, words it in their
marketing literature.

- Jennie Achtemichuk
Kirkland, WA
(206) 828-0229