Readability indexes

Subject: Readability indexes
From: "(Sheryl Curtis)" <SCURTIS -at- VAX2 -dot- CONCORDIA -dot- CA>
Date: Wed, 17 May 1995 13:47:07 -0500

Thank you to those who responded to my query. Perhaps, though, I should
have been more explicit about what I am looking into readability indexes.
I work primarily as a translator (French to English) of commercial and
technical documents. Over the past 15 years, I've heard a lot of
criticism to the effect that translations (and particularly English to
French ones) are "harder" to read than the original. Well, I am
turning my curiosity about this into a Ph.D. thesis and will be
analyzing a corpus of translations (in both directions) produced for
a Canadian railway. And, I'm trying to find out if there is a way
I can measure the readability indexes of both the original and the
translation in order to compare them. Any ideas?

Sheryl Curtis
Montreal, Quebec

P.S.: I have also asked a translation list about this same topic, but
readability indexes aren't a big thing with translators and when I saw
the subject come up on this list I thought I'd see what I could
come up with. Thanks.