Re: In and under

Subject: Re: In and under
From: James Mathewson <math0038 -at- GOLD -dot- TC -dot- UMN -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 17 May 1995 10:55:38 -0500

On Wed, 17 May 1995, douglas_thayer wrote:

> My colleague has posed the following questions, for which I have no
> authoritative answer:

> In the sentence, "XXX runs in the Windows environment and under UNIX,"
> is there any difference in usage between "in" and "under"? Could these
> be swapped without affecting the meaning of the sentence?

Yes. No. Windows is an environment, UNIX is a platform or shell. You can't
operate under an environment. You can work in a platform, but, strictly
speaking, you work under a shell. Whether you want to use 'in' to
describe running under the UNIX shell depends on how stricly you wish to
speak. This depends on context. For most technical contexts, you speak
verey strictly.

I hope this helps.

james {:>l3