Readability Indexes

Subject: Readability Indexes
From: George Hayhoe <GFHayhoe -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 17 May 1995 10:02:32 -0400

Sheryl Curtis asked whether thereadability index capability of various word
processors could be used to measure the relative readability of French prose.
Since these tools use word length (syllable count) and sentence length in
making their calculations, they can be used with various languages. I'd be
careful, though, to ensure that my word processor has a hyphenation algorithm
for whatever language I was using to ensure that the syllable-based word
length calculations are accurate.