Re: Online documentation

Subject: Re: Online documentation
From: Chet Ensign <Chet_Ensign%LDS -at- NOTES -dot- WORLDCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 17 May 1995 09:10:32 EDT

Lisa Hodge asks:

> 1. Did you replace your paper doc or continue to provide paper doc
> as a supplement to the online system? If you still provide paper doc
> to your users, is it a full-blown set or a condensed version?

My experience has been that customers still expect to receive paper manuals. If
you try to yank the paper and replace it with online, you risk a
customer-relations backlash.

On one project, we *were* able to reduce the paper to that part of the doc set
that was most frequently used. We put all the doc online, but took the
esoteric, rarely used portions out of the paper and only delivered it online.
That worked out o.k.

Have you asked your users? That's the best way to find out what they want and
what they will find acceptable.

Best of luck,

/chet

---