Query: Commercial printer problems with electronic files

Subject: Query: Commercial printer problems with electronic files
From: Gwen Barnes <gwen -dot- barnes -at- MUSTANG -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 14 May 1995 21:39:04 GMT

-> We recently had a publication come back from the printer where the
-> headings varied in ink density from page to page. The heads were
-> supposed to be 100% black but on a spread, one page had a 100% blac
-> head and the other had an 80% black head. The printer said it was a
-> problem with the software, not ink coverage.

Look closely at the "gray" page to see if you see a dot pattern. Use a
magnifying glass if you have to. If you don't see dots, your printer's
explanation is bogus and you're entitled to negotiate a rerun or a
reduction in the price for the job. Sounds to me like they're BSing
you and blaming software for a perfectly ordinary press screwup.

I can't think of any circumstances where a software program would
randomly assign a screen to elements in a page without deliberate human
intervention. A bug that weird would maybe not be discussed with as much
enthusiasm as the Pentium problem, but it would not have gone unnoticed
in the industry either.

Cheers, @DISCLAIMER@
Gwen gwen -dot- barnes -at- mustang -dot- com
MSI * Connecting the world 805-873-2500