1099s Revisited

Subject: 1099s Revisited
From: Ron Miller <RSMH -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 11 May 1995 09:29:41 -0400

Hi:
We had a little debate about 1099s a while back, and I wanted to post this
exchange to clarify the issue for fellow-freelancers who work on 1099 at the
bequest of their clients and not by choice. I believe the problems that were
discussed (i.e., tax implications) are related to instances where *you*
demand to be paid on 1099 basis; not when your client chooses to pay you this
way.

Ron Miller
RSMH @AOL.COM

Ron Miller writes to Dave Demyan::

>Dave:
>After reading your post where you defened yourself against a charge that you
were somehow misleading us by not revealing your job:

>You indicated your clients will not accept anyone who wants to work on a
1099 basis. Forgive me if I am misquoting or misinterpreting. As a freelancer
(i.e., contractor), I *never* insist on the method of
payment; it is in fact the client or agency that makes this decision. I don't
have a choice in the matter. I just thought I would clarify this because I
got the impression in your post that you were suggesting that the contractor
decides how he/she wishes to be paid, and in my experience at least, this is
simply not the case.

>Ron Miller
>RSMH -at- AOL -dot- COM

Dave Demyan Replies:

Ron: Bless you. How I wish more were like you.

Now that I am done gasping, I'll tell you how I see it: many contractors DO
insist that they will only work under a certain status, usually 1099. At
least that is the case here in New Jersey. Perhaps this is an anomoly of a
strong job market, which it is here right now.

I can't say it is a majority, but many applicants do make there demands known
on this front.

Regards,

Dave Demyan