Re: "Sexual Harassment" ?

Subject: Re: "Sexual Harassment" ?
From: Sue Heim <SUE -at- RIS -dot- RISINC -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 8 May 1995 09:06:12 PST

Chas Bosdet wanted to know:

> Regarding the "so there, smartie pants" comment:

> 1. Is the comment "denigrating"? How so?

> Is it defammatory? Does it belittle the person to whom it was
> addressed?

First of all, because communicating over the 'Net is a non-verbal
method of communiation, you cannot tell by inflection of voice or
twinkle in eye whether a statement such as the above was made in a
serious tone or "tongue-in-cheek." I did note the absence of a smiley
face emoticon or <grin> statement, and I also assumed that the
statement was a derogatory and childish statement ("So there,
smartie-pants" reminds me of something that a 7-year old would say).

I think the comment was unnecessary, uncalled for, and derogatory. If
I were a supervisor, I would definitely speak with the person making
the statement. I also think that the person making the statement (in
this case, Vince P) should apologize to Karen.

> 2. Does the comment constitute "sexual harassment"? How?

No, I do not think the comment constitutes sexual harassment.
Harassment in general, however, is another thing!

Another point -- when communicating across the 'Net, it is very easy
to misconstrue an innocent comment. If, in fact, that is the case
here, then I would extend my apologies also to Vince for
misunderstanding his comment.

I would like to request that, in the future, such childish comments
be eliminated from messages that are posted to the list.

Just my two cents... <grin>
...sue
Sue Heim
Research Information Systems
Email: Sue -at- ris -dot- risinc -dot- com