Re: Syquest vs CD-ROM?

Subject: Re: Syquest vs CD-ROM?
From: Robert Phillips <robnp -at- OZEMAIL -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Date: Sat, 6 May 1995 06:10:23 GMT

Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- jci -dot- com wrote:
: A colleague suggests that CD systems are a dying art (just as they get
: affordable) and that Syquest systems will replace them. Currently, I
: don't see that happening. A lot more employers, I would guess, have
: CD drives on their computers than have Syquest drives.

: Syquest is the dying system. Their reliability and long-term retention
problems
: have already killed them here, and I suspect the falling prices of magneto-
: optical will finish the job elsewhere soon.

This is an interesting observation. The 512 Mb drive had problems and has
been taken off the market, but the 270 Mb have been very popular in Oz and
continue to sell well. The SyQuests are a great way to do back ups,
although we are also using CD ROM for backups where we want the files to
maintained in an environment where they cannot be changed.

Rob
robnp -at- ozemail -dot- com -dot- oz