Re: Writing simple procedures

Subject: Re: Writing simple procedures
From: Gwen Barnes <gwen -dot- barnes -at- MUSTANG -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 5 May 1995 16:03:01 GMT

-> Whether or not something is "too obvious" to document depends
-> very much on audience analysis. If the product you're documenting

I've started putting a "Skills you need" or "Tools you need" section
(depending on context) in each example or tutorial, spelling out how
much I expect the user to know already, and telling them where to look
for information to remedy the situation if they don't have the skills
they need to do the tutorial. Time will tell whether our users pay any
more attention to these than they have to anything else we write for
them <g>

I notice a lot of 3rd party books have a chart on the cover somewhere,
usually the back, showing the expertise level. This is understandably
somewhat subjective, but I'm wondering if anyone has defined what a
beginner, intermediate or advanced computer user already knows, and how
to evaluate a book's expertise level based on those definitions.

Cheers, @DISCLAIMER@
Gwen gwen -dot- barnes -at- mustang -dot- com
MSI * Connecting the world 805-873-2500