tables --> HTML

Subject: tables --> HTML
From: Susannah Skyer <susannah -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 4 May 1995 09:54:42 -0700

> To: techwr-l -at- vm1 -dot- ucc -dot- okstate -dot- edu
> From: staff -at- sasknet -dot- sk -dot- ca
> Subject: Re: Manuals -> HTML?
> Date: Sun, 30 Apr 1995 21:12:27 -0600

> In article <rturnage-2804951554560001 -at- port28 -dot- ventura -dot- rain -dot- org>,
> rturnage -at- rain -dot- org (Robert Turnage) wrote:

> > I'm doing a large tech manual (approx. 225 pgs) for a client who wants me
> > to convert it to pages for their Web site. Half of the manual is an
> > appendix with multiple tables per page. I've heard that HTML is lacking
> > in this area. I have both PC and Mac environments, and own Pagemaker
> > (PC/Mac), Frame4 (PC), Word (PC/Mac), and Quark (Mac). I know there are a
> > lot of converters/filters out there that work, but have no firsthand
> > experience. Can anyone who has experience in this area point me in the
> > right direction or give me any advice?

My understanding is that your options for how to do tables depend on which
web browser(s) your users will use to access your documents. Netscape 1.1
appears to offer HTML extensions (which may become standard in HTML 3.0?)
to format tables. If everyone at your company is using this version of
Netscape or would be happy to switch to it, then this seems a viable option to
pursue.

Excellent HTML development info exists on the web itself. A couple starting
points you might want to check out are:

http://home.mcom.com/home/how-to-create-web-services.html

http://www.yahoo.com/Computers/World_Wide_Web

http://www.charm.net/~web/Vlib.html