Re: DTP software what's best

Subject: Re: DTP software what's best
From: Linda Anderson <lindaa -at- PC-SERV1 -dot- EMTEK -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 4 May 1995 11:29:18 -0700

Donna,

In my experience, Frame is really great for text intensive stuff. It
handles HUGE manuals better than any other DTP program out there, being
able to accommodate literally thousands of pages.

However, if you want to do something more fancy such as using photos,
adding color, etc., I would suggest either Pagemaker or Quark. Both are
excellent programs for that, while still being able to handle very large
amounts of text. For example, I was using Pagemaker to DTP manuals of
300-400 pages with no problems and the manufacturers of both programs
claim they can each handle up to 1000 pages per document.

While I love Pagmaker, I have found that Quark has some advantages over
Page. A really big advantage I didn't discover until after we had already
decided on Pagemaker is that you can create multiple master pages in
Quark while Page only allows you to create two. In our department we ran
across numerous times when we needed to be able to create more than two
master pages.

If you really want to investigate the three programs, I believe that PC
Magazine ran a VERY detailed, informative comparison of them two years
ago. I suggest you check it out.

Good luck and I hope all this helps.

Linda

In hearing, there is wisdom. In speaking, repentance.
Confucius

EMTEK Health Care Systems
Tempe, Arizona
USA