Writing simple procedures

Subject: Writing simple procedures
From: Glenda Jeffrey <jeffrey -at- LEMOND -dot- HKS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 4 May 1995 08:20:34 -0400

Sue Gallagher wrote:
> I think that part of the problem you're having with the
> sentence is that it combines two distinct steps (selecting
> and opening). If this is a part of procedural text (steps),
> you may want to break it out.

I have a question about this -- at what point is something so
obvious that you don't want to break it out into two steps?
For example:

1. Move the cursor to the XXX toolbox.
2. Click on the YYY icon.

or

1. Click on the YYY icon in the XXX toolbox.

Is the first form too obvious? It seems so to me, but then
again, you want to write these kinds of things to the lowest
common denominator, right?

I guess it's a matter of taste, but if anybody has opinions
one way or the other, I'd love to hear them.

--
Glenda Jeffrey Email: jeffrey -at- hks -dot- com
Hibbitt, Karlsson & Sorensen, Inc Phone: 401-727-4200