OJ TRIAL

Subject: OJ TRIAL
From: Phil Hellerman <philh -at- CENTRAL -dot- SHARED -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 3 May 1995 14:57:16 CDT

My interest in the OJ trial has caused me to think about its applicability to
technical writing and technical writers. It seems to me some technical writer
in LA needs to approach the LAPD about the benefits of staffing technical
writers and using current technology.

The defense claims LAPD procedures were not followed. It seems to me that
the LAPD needs to distribute diskmans to their detectives. Having a portable
CD player that identified all required procedures for the investigation would
result in properly followed procedures. The detectives would not need to think
about the next step. Rather it would be in front of them on the cd.

Yesterday, the forensic expert was on the stand and was quizzed by the defense
about the procedure manual someone was writing. (Wow!! I never thought any
procedure manual would become a critical element in a murder trial. I know
how dull they sometimes can be to write.) Unfortunately the expert said the
book was never completed since the individual who was writing it was moved
to a managerial role (laugh).

This sounds like a real business opportunity for someone in LA. Go into the
LAPD and try and properly finish the book. This way all future forensics
experts in LA will have proper procedures. It could easily be put on electronic
media for all to use and follow.

Actually, all the above could be done for any police department in the
country. Both police and forensic officials could do their job better.

regards

philh -at- shared -dot- com
philip j hellerman