Re. SyQuest, CD, and CD-R

Subject: Re. SyQuest, CD, and CD-R
From: Geoff Hart <geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Wed, 3 May 1995 14:04:45 LCL

Just a quick clarification for anyone following this thread: CD-ROM
drives (which only read data from a compact disk) are not the same as
CD-R (recordable CD) disks. The former cost about $200 and are
ubiquitous; the latter cost about $3000 and are rarer, whether on the
east or west coasts.

BTW, I misread the intent of the original posting. CD-R drives aren't
at all suited to casual "I need to copy this file before I leave"
copying; SyQuests are ideally suited to this purpose. Hope this helps.

--Geoff Hart #8^{)}
geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

Disclaimer: These comments are my own and don't represent the opinions
of the Forest Engineering Research Institute of Canada.