Re: Engineers, writers, Queen Victoria and the vapors

Subject: Re: Engineers, writers, Queen Victoria and the vapors
From: James Mathewson <math0038 -at- GOLD -dot- TC -dot- UMN -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 3 May 1995 11:52:31 -0500

On Wed, 3 May 1995, Nancy Marie Ott wrote:

> I am an engineer and a writer, and I don't see what the controversy is
> about. Those who claim that you can pick up either discipline simply
> by taking a few classes are missing the point. The most important
> skill for a technical writer is knowing how to learn ... regarless of
> whether you start out with an engineering degree or a writing degree.
> My engineering background has been an immense asset, but my writing
> skills have been equally important.

Hear here! I am a tech publisher and a teaching assistant in mechanical
engineering. How do I write let alone grade reports from such a diverse
field? If I don't know something, I look it up. With the ease and quickness
of the WWW, there is no excuse for not being fully informed on the topic about
which one is writing. This does not mean one needs to have extensive
background in any one field. A good working knowledge of physics and
chemistry and an ability to do research efficiently are all
one needs as far as background. Writing skill, acquired only through
time, effort and a healthy self-critical attitude, is the
primary criterion.

james {:>l3