Re: Technical writing vs. engineering

Subject: Re: Technical writing vs. engineering
From: "Chateau Wright (GE)" <cwright -at- SUNTAN -dot- ENG -dot- USF -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 1995 13:13:45 -0400

Eavesdrop on your forum! Look lady, my technical writing teacher
suggested we sign-up for this list to get some insight on technical
writing from technical writers and the software "your people" use.
Engineering is in fact more techincal than writing. When you drive your
car today (mechnical & electrical engineering) on your neighborhood road
(civil engineering) and stop at the traffic light (civil engineering)
most of the things around you are because of engineering. All I'm trying
to say is that *to me* technical writing is not as complicated and
intense as the things that engineers learn and develop. I'm not saying
that engineering is "superior" or that technical communication is
insignificant.

On Thu, 27 Apr 1995, Jennie Achtemichuk wrote:

> Chateau Wright (GE) wrote: "Believe me, as an civil engineering student my
> technical
> writing class was much more easier (sic) than any engineering class. To me,
> technical
> writing is basically researching and reporting information in a specific
> writing style. One doesn't even need a class, (sic) there are books that can
> teach a person to become a "technical writer". To be an engineer, you
> need so many fundamentals: you have to take Physics to know
> Thermodynamics and you have to take Thermodynamics to know Fluid
> Mechanics and you have to take Fluid Mechanics in order to take Water
> Resource Engineering and so on. I'm not trying to "downplay" technical writing
> but come
> on! It's not as easy to teach engineering to a writer that (sic) to teach
> writing to an
> engineer. Karla is wrong."

> Oh, please!! Let's stop this thread before we corrupt any more student's
minds.
> Can't
> they get out of college these days without these biases about their fields?
Have