Re: Core beliefs

Subject: Re: Core beliefs
From: "Arlen P. Walker" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 1995 08:33:00 -0600

This whole debate makes me want to state one of my core beliefs.
As I see it,any one person, given desire and a minimal amount of
basic intelligence, can learn to do any other person's job.

I'd agree with that, as long as we leave it as written. I can learn to do
anyone's job; I just might not be able to learn to do it as well as they do,
that's all.

Thinking otherwise is elitist.

That I'd disagree with. I'll rephrase it: Thinking otherwise denies the human
capacity to learn.

People tend to follow their innate strengths in choosing professions..

Ideally, you're right. Unfortunately, many of the folks I've met don't know
where their strengths are. In practice, most people take the easiest road.
Sometimes that road is easy because of their strengths, that's true. But I've
seen as many people who chose a road made easy by other circumstances, such as
scholarships, abundance of job opportunities, parent's wishes or expectation of
reward (AKA going where the money is).

I will, however, admit that I've met few writers or engineers with the latter
motivation. That one tends to apply more to sales and marketing types.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 124