Oxymorons

Subject: Oxymorons
From: Roy Johnson <Roy -at- MANTEX -dot- DEMON -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 1995 10:22:13 GMT

I don't see how "posthaste" is a one-word oxymoron.
Its original meaning was "travelling by relays of
horses" and now it generally means "with great
urgency and speed".

An oxymoron is a "contracted paradox", and it
requires an element of [apparent] self-contradition.

I hope some examples of one-word oxymorons show up -
but we havn't had one yet (Tues 25 April in UK)
--
Dr Roy Johnson | Roy -at- mantex -dot- demon -dot- co -dot- uk
PO Box 100 | Tel: +44 (0)161 432 5811