Re: Shrink-wrap

Subject: Re: Shrink-wrap
From: Bev Parks <bparks -at- HUACHUCA-EMH1 -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 1995 17:56:18 MST

From Rosie Wilcox-->
I've heard a completely different meaning. In a meeting here, it was used
to distinguish applications we buy and supply to our users (MS Mail, MS
Word, etc.) from the applications we develop for our users. In fact, we
considered using "Shrink-wrapped" (okay, the folks in the meeting considered
it, *I* didn't :-)) as the identifier in the Incident database for calls our
Support folks get regarding software we haven't developed.
====================
Rosie, I think your usage at least makes a little sense. It
would even apply well to us in government, since we never
shrink-wrap the software we develop. If the item is
shrink-wrapped, it would have to be COTS (commercial
off-the-shelf) software.

Interesting that the meaning is being customized or, in my case,
redefined to its opposite :( .

Have a great weekend and a great week at the STC conference to
anyone still around to read this!

=*= Beverly Parks =*= bparks -at- huachuca-emh1 -dot- army -dot- mil =*=
=*= "These opinions are mine, not my employer's." =*=