Re: Resolving edits

Subject: Re: Resolving edits
From: Emily Skarzenski <71220 -dot- 341 -at- COMPUSERVE -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 1995 11:42:28 EDT

Charlie wrote:

My position is (and has been for the last twelve years of
being a tech writer) that I will accommodate a reviewer's
edits "within reason" and that as the writer _I_ have the
final say in what goes in the manuals.

Hang in there, Charlie! That's the way it ought to be. After all, I'd guess that
QA manager who insists on getting his/her changes into your document only wants
to be a *selective* authority--I bet he/she doesn't want to take any
responsibility for the rest of the document (where he/she hasn't proposed any
changes). That's why you're in the driver's seat--you are responsible for the
*entire* document.

However, you can frame this is a positive light for the insistent QA manager.
Explain that you're a reasonable kind of guy; all he/she has to do is convince
you of the merit of the suggestions. If they really are good suggestions, that
shouldn't be a problem, right? Shift the burden of proof to the reviewer.

Emily Skarzenski
Head Technical Writer
Fastech, Inc. - Broomall, PA
71220 -dot- 341 -at- compuserve -dot- com