Copyright Clearance

Subject: Copyright Clearance
From: Kelly Burhenne <burhennk -at- SMTPGW -dot- LIEBERT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 1995 13:36:28 EST

Text item: Text_1

Someone (sorry, I deleted the message) wrote in asking how to obtain
permission to use copyrighted material. I really don't know anything
about this subject but thought that this information from 'Edupage'
might be of interest:

COPYRIGHT CLEARANCE CENTER ON THE WEB
The Copyright Clearance Center, which serves as a clearinghouse for
permission to reprint copyrighted materials, has set up business on
the Web, offering browsers an automated process for obtaining and
paying for reprint rights. The URL is
<http://www.directory.net/copyright>. Customers can asked to be billed
or pay by credit card using Open Market Inc.'s encrypted software. By
July the Center hopes to offer an automated Academic Permission
Service for obtaining the rights to "course packs" --
anthologies that professors custom-design for their classes.
(Chronicle of Higher Education 4/21/95 A32)

-Kelly Burhenne
burhennk -at- liebert -dot- com

Edupage is written by John Gehl (gehl -at- educom -dot- edu) & Suzanne Douglas
(douglas -at- educom -dot- edu). Voice: 404-371-1853, Fax: 404-371-8057