Problems when reproducing manuals, etc.

Subject: Problems when reproducing manuals, etc.
From: Linda Gallagher <73654 -dot- 1420 -at- COMPUSERVE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 1995 11:02:57 EDT

Hello Techwrlers:

I've been a lurker for a long time (I did post an informational message
recently) and now I could use some input from fellow technical writers. My issue
does not relate directly to the writing part of what we do, but to what happens
to our work when it goes to the printer for reproduction.

A colleague suggested that I develop training to make printing companies aware
of the needs of technical writers. One printing company is interested in the
training if I put something together. Unfortunately, my clients have handled
that aspect to date, so I do not have experience to draw upon. The idea is to
make the printer aware of issues and problems we encounter during (probably more
like after) reproduction.

So here's my request:

What kinds of problems have you had when getting a manual (or other materials)
reproduced?

What could the printer have done to avoid the problem?

What are the things you'd like the printer to check for or be aware of before,
during, and after reproduction?

Do you think there are a sufficient number of issues to warrant holding a
"training session?" As you can tell from my question, I'm not sure that I could
even hold a one-hour session on the topic.

Please send all reponses directly to me at my email address
(73654 -dot- 1420 -at- compuserve -dot- com). I don't get to read every digest I receive and I
don't want to miss any of your posts. I'll post a summary if you are interested.

Thanks for your help.

Linda Gallagher
TechCom Plus