Copyright permissions for UK?

Subject: Copyright permissions for UK?
From: Millman_Harvey <millman -at- JMBCORP -dot- MHS -dot- COMPUSERVE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 1995 14:19:11 EDT

Hello all!

I wish to use information contained in a PhD thesis dated 1986.
It states in part:

"...no quotation from the thesis and no information derived from
it may be published without the author's prior written consent."

This brings up some interesting definitional issues: what does
"derived" mean? And what does "publish" mean?

If I simply send email that includes some part of the work, is
that "publishing"?

If I need it, how do I get "the author's prior written consent"?
(For starters, how do I *find* the author?)

TIA,

Harv
millman -at- jmbcorp -dot- mhs -dot- compuserve -dot- com