Re: Sexist cover letters?

Subject: Re: Sexist cover letters?
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- STARBASECORP -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 1995 13:49:05 -0700

Arthur wonders...

> What do you use as a greeting in the cover letters you enclose with
> your resumes? Nothing I've tried lately feels just right, including
> the following:

> Dear Sir:
> Dear Sir or Madam: [might be appropriate for Nevada]
> Dear HR Department:
> Dear HR Department Staff:
> Hello:

When there doesn't seem to be a salutation that fits the
situation, omit the salutation entirely. Kind of along the
lines of "When you can't say something nice..."

I've tried all the alternatives (including Gentlemen:, Sirs:,
and all those mentioned above) and finally arrived at just
diving right into the letter without any salutation at all.

Sue Gallagher
StarBase Corp, Irvine CA
sgallagher -at- starbasecorp -dot- com