Re: Undocumented Procedures

Subject: Re: Undocumented Procedures
From: "Arlen P. Walker" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 1995 16:04:00 -0600

I think I need a sanity check. I'm going around in circles in a dis-
cussion with my boss, and I want to get some feedback on my
position.

Rick, you both make some good points. If the intention is to autoship the level
three book when it's finished, perhaps you can get him to buy into providing an
"interim copy" level three book in the shipment, which contains the procedure
documentation. Yes, the cost is higher, but that gives the users necessary
information while letting the grand vision for level three still stand. (Or
perhaps split level three into the procedures and the "vision" volume.)

The objection that "they only do that a few times a year," is cold comfort to
the user that needs to perform those operations before the manual ships.
Besides, some users like to perform annual tasks on a monthly basis, on the
assumption that if a little is good, often will be better (yes, not always sound
practice, but still it happens).

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 124