serifs/sans & dyslexia

Subject: serifs/sans & dyslexia
From: Linda Haynes <lhaynes -at- MACE -dot- CC -dot- PURDUE -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 1995 12:09:34 EST

Anyone know of research done on fonts and dyslexia?

A student in one of my friend's classes (taught in a computer lab)
couldn't understand why the characters on his computer screen were
jumping around. When my friend changed the font on the computer,
the student said that he could read the letters perfectly. I did
not think to ask my friend what fonts she tried, or whether
they were serif or san serif, but for me, san serif fonts wiggle
a bit, and serifed fonts do seem nailed down. This happens
both on paper and onscreen.

I do NOT mean to start a thread about dyslexia, but it seems
worthy to consider it in terms of font choices and document readability.

Linda Haynes
lhaynes -at- mace -dot- cc -dot- purdue -dot- edu