Re[2]: Career longevity

Subject: Re[2]: Career longevity
From: Douglas Thayer <douglas_thayer -at- SMTPLINK -dot- SYSCOM -dot- COM -dot- TW>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 1995 11:27:34 EST

This has a familiar ring. In the past eight years, I have three times
had jobs terminated because the company has "cashed in the chips." But
hey, that's the computer business. Nobody in their right mind would
get into this industry for "job security." That goes for top
management as well as lowly writers.

On Taiwan, the rules are: be prepared to write about anything, get
your money up front, and never work for a single employer.

Douglas Thayer
<douglas_thayer -at- smtplink -dot- syscom -dot- com -dot- tw>
Taipei, Taiwan, R.O.C.

Subject: Re: Career longevity
Author: Robert Plamondon <robert -at- PLAMONDON -dot- COM> at smtplink-syscom
Date: 4/13/95 3:00 PM

I dunno. I've been at the same company for ten and a half years.
I would have stayed at my previous employer longer than I did, if
they hadn't augured in.

I know plenty of tech writers who stayed at least five years at a
favorite employer -- or even a not-so-favorite one.

-- Robert

--
Robert Plamondon * Writer * robert -at- plamondon -dot- com * (408) 321-8771
4271 North First Street, #106 * San Jose * California * 95134-1215