Re: Mac Doom

Subject: Re: Mac Doom
From: Romay Jean Sitze <rositze -at- NMSU -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 1995 17:40:18 -0600

On Tue, 11 Apr 1995, Heilan Yvette Grimes wrote:

> The PowerBook went form 0% marketshare
> to 67% in just a couple of years. In the graphics/publishing industry
> IBM/Dos/Windows machines are fairly nonexistent. Same with multimedia. Apple
> owns these markets. Their marketshare isn't mroe than 50%--it's more than
> 95%. Go to a service bureau and ask to run out your IBM file. You'll have to
> look high and lo to find someone to do it.

While this has been true in the past, the PC is rapidly growing in the
multimedia/graphics/publishing capabilities. While the Apple is still in
the lead, the PC is catching up. As to the service bureaus, many are now
equipped with Power PCs that can read disks from either platform. I do
all my desktop work on a PC, including graphics, scans, and so on. While
I sometimes have to substitute fonts for my printer, I can download the
files from the PC diskette to the Power PC with very little need for
tweaking. IMHO, the trend is going to be more and more toward a
cross-platform capability.

RoMay Sitze, rositze -at- nmsu -dot- edu
The body of every ofganization is structured from four kinds of
bones. There are the wishbones, who spend all their time wishing
someone would do the work. Then there are the sawbones, who do
all the talking, but little else. The knucklebones knock every-
thing anybody else tries to do. Fortunately, in every organization
there are also the backbones, who get under the load and do most
of the work. --Leo Aikman, _On Bones_