Webster's 10th Edition Drops List of Colleges & Universities

Subject: Webster's 10th Edition Drops List of Colleges & Universities
From: Binion Amerson <aba -at- OC -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 1995 16:02:05 -0500

Attention Technical Communicators:

Many of us use Webster's Collegiate Dictionary. I just needed to look up
the locality of a college and discovered that the "Merriam Webster's
Collegiate Dictionary Tenth Edition" does not have a list of Colleges and
Universities in it's back matter. The Ninth Edition had such a list in
it's back matter. The Preface to the Tenth Edition makes no mention of
this deletion.

How can this prestigious publication have "Collegiate" in it's title when
it no longer lists colleges and universities. I for one protest--bring
back the list of colleges and universities. I think we should all send
Merriam-Webster a message asking them to restore this list in their next
edition.

Does anyone know the E-mail address for Merriam-Webster, Incorporated?

Binion Amerson

Binion Amerson, Senior Technical Writer, OpenConnect Systems, 2711 LBJ, Ste
800, Dallas, TX 75234, Ph 214/888-0447; Fax 214/484-6100; E-mail aba -at- oc -dot- com
Director-Sponsor, Society for Technical Communication (STC) Region 5.