Downstyle headings

Subject: Downstyle headings
From: Peggy Thompson <Peggy_Thompson -at- CCMAIL -dot- OSTI -dot- GOV>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 1995 09:27:00 -0400

Do most of you downstyle headings in your technical material? I
write computer manuals and quick ref guides, and we have always
adhered to Traditional Methods of Up and Down Styling for the
Headings. However, I read some compelling arguments (reading
ease) for instead

Doing headings just like this

and to hell with conventions bred long ago in publishing.
Comments from the field? Many thanks.