Re: A Font By Any Other Name...

Subject: Re: A Font By Any Other Name...
From: Sue Heim <SUE -at- RIS -dot- RISINC -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 1995 14:04:14 PST

> Kelly Burhenne wrote:
> >If my rusty french serves me correctly, sans means "without";
> >therefore, sans serif would mean type without the fine lines finishing
> >off the main strokes of a letter (e.g., Arial, Helvetica--correct??)

To which Keith Baker replied:
> I understand that serif means "foot". Therefore, sans serif means
> "without feet".

Around here, "serif" is also known as "flippers." For some insane and
arcane reason, the marketing folks around here could *never* remember
which was a serif'd font and which was a sans serif font. So, they
started using that age-old transferrence technique -- i.e. "serif" =
"flipper." I guess it worked, cause they no longer get confused. I
do, however, occasionally see a marketing type have to pause and do a
quick translation in his/her mind before continuing a conversation on
fonts!

..sue
Sue Heim
Research Information Systems
Email: Sue -at- ris -dot- risinc -dot- com