Can't Use "Can Not"?

Subject: Can't Use "Can Not"?
From: Robert Plamondon <robert -at- PLAMONDON -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 1995 12:41:39 PDT

>Actually, the expression "can not" never appears in correct English
>(according to my high school English teacher). Use either can't or cannot.
>...RM

Nonsense. Separating "cannot" into "can not" is a useful device for
stress and cadence, especially in dialog. Also, you can italicize
the "not" for extra emphasis if the words are separated, but it looks
pretty stupid to italicize "canNOT."

-- Robert
--
Robert Plamondon * Writer * robert -at- plamondon -dot- com * (408) 321-8771
4271 North First Street, #106 * San Jose * California * 95134-1215