Re: What Degree Would You Get?

Subject: Re: What Degree Would You Get?
From: gina jerome <gina -at- ROARK -dot- ITG -dot- TI -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 1995 17:03:17 -0500

Good question, Kelly, and Sue gave a great answer. However, with our
industry changing so rapidly, I'm not sure it's wise to invest the time
necessary to get another degree as I'm not confident that academia can
keep up with current technology.

Noted economist Paul Zane Pilzer points out that technical revolutions
currently occur once every six years and in the future, they'll happen
even faster. This is the result of rapidly increasing communication,
both in breadth and in speed. That being the case, by the time one
got a degree, their knowledge would be outdated.

Other businesses have stated that while experience is important,
they're more interested in employees and consultants who are adaptable,
flexible, and can easily and readily learn and assimilate new information
and technology. It's more a matter of what you are willing and able
to know/learn vs what's you already do. (Check out Tom Peter's latest,
"Crazy Times Call for Crazy Organizations." Great stuff and he discusses
several high-tech companies and their strategies for business as
well as their human resources.)

The key might be self-education -- reading books, newsletters, online
info, trade mags -- and once you find a subject of particular interest,
investigate it more thoroughly and find methods to use your knowledge
in an experiencial manner.

Gina Jerome
gina -at- roark -dot- itg -dot- ti -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000