Re. notifying users of delays

Subject: Re. notifying users of delays
From: "Montgomery, Kevin" <kmontgomery -at- LOGICON -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 1995 09:51:21 PST

Well, you _could_ say "Have a cup of coffee" or the like. Or, you
could handle a necessary delay like John Muir did in "How to Keep Your
Volkswagen Alive - A Manual of Step-By-Step Procedures for the
Complete Idiot." He suggested that, while waiting for the engine to
cool down, the user crawl into the back of his bus with his traveling
companion and do things wholly inappropriate to suggest in these days
of Family Values and random drug tests (not to mention nonsexist
language). I'd quote the exact passage, but I can't quite read it any
more through the layers of greasy fingerprints and burn marks. That
book is an example of using effective and appropriate humor to convey
technical information. Wow, man! -Kevin