Re: Instructions to "Be Patient" from a Machine

Subject: Re: Instructions to "Be Patient" from a Machine
From: Robert Plamondon <robert -at- PLAMONDON -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 1995 14:27:17 PST

It's pretty obnoxious for a machine to lecture you on what mental
state you ought to be adopting. I would prefer a bland and factual
"The next step will take several minutes. Please wait."

The user is in a better position to determine how best to pass the
time than the software will be. I think we can safely trust the
user's discretion.

(I'm also tired of installation programs that make annoying
suggestions during the wait, such as, "This might be a good time
to fill our your registration card, even though you bought this
upgrade directly from the manufacturer, and are going to be deluged
with junk mail for the rest of your life anyway.")

-- Robert

--
"This might be a good time to check out daytime talk shows, so
you'll be glad you have a job."