Re: Which do you think is best?

Subject: Re: Which do you think is best?
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- STARBASECORP -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 1995 10:39:26 -0800

Grant Lowe wonders...

> Would you on your job rather work on both hard copy and on-line
> documentation for an MIS group; documenting accounting, policies and
> procedures, manufacturing, etc.; and working for several groups.

> Or on your job, would you rather work with only hardcopy; documenting
> not-necessarily-state-of-the-art client/server architecture (but one that
> has broken some new ground in performance/price) and related hardware and
> software; and report to only one group?

The second job sounds like a safe, easy, traditional tech
writing role. No major challenges, not much new to learn,
just put in your 9to5 and go home.

The first position, OTOH, offers a broader scope of
subject matter ;-), more challenge to your people skills,
and the opportunity to segue to online information
techniques, which will broaden your horizons even further.

The first position will look better on your resume.

The second position may afford you the opportunity of
a personal life.

I'd take the first one, Grant -- but that's me.
What are your career goals???

Sue Gallagher
StarBase Corp, Irvine CA
sgallagher -at- starbasecorp -dot- com