Re: Warning about a slow response

Subject: Re: Warning about a slow response
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- STARBASECORP -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 1995 12:28:04 -0800

> What phrases do you use to gently warn the user that some element of a
> program is going to take way too long?

> If this were an irreverent enough venue, I'd say, "Now would be a good
> time to go out for coffee," or "Push Execute, then go out to lunch
> while the program is working." I'd like something more low-key,
> though.

> And it's only going to be a minute or so. Any ideas?

Arthur...

Is the length of time the process takes related to anything
that the user can control???

Here in the version control world, the length of time for
checking in a file is highly dependent on the size of the
file, the number of changes, and whether the file is ASCII
or binary. Still other processes depend on the size of
a directory and/or the number of subdirectories.

I often need to state sumpin' like:

Some large, machine-generated ASCII files may
take several minutes...

Or,

The more deeply nested your directory structure,
the longer this process will take.

I've found that giving the reason for the length of time
will often make the waiting process a little easier. (Just
a thought)

Sue Gallagher
StarBase Corp, Irvine CA
sgallagher -at- starbasecorp -dot- com