Re: "Tech Writer" name

Subject: Re: "Tech Writer" name
From: Robert Plamondon <robert -at- PLAMONDON -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 1995 08:46:43 PST

One thing I did for my own job title was to go down to Human Resources
and look at their salary survey data (at Weitek, at least, there's no
secret about industry salary data).

Of all the possible job titles (of which there were many -- you do a lot
of different things at a small company), "Technical Publications Manager"
and "Technical Writing Manager" were both the highest-paying and the
best fit. "Technical Writing Manager" paid a little more than "Technical
Publications Manager."

I immediately asked that my job title be changed to "Technical Writing
Manager," which took place without demur (and why not? It fit at least
as well as the title I had at the time). The next performance review
revealed that I was sadly underpaid, and I got a nice raise.

Find out what the system is. Use it. It works!

-- Robert
--
Robert Plamondon * Writer * robert -at- plamondon -dot- com * (408) 321-8771
4271 North First Street, #106 * San Jose * California * 95134-1215