Re: STYLE: Prefaces/Introductions

Subject: Re: STYLE: Prefaces/Introductions
From: Jan Boomsliter <boom -at- CADENCE -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 1995 10:25:43 -0800

- In tech docs I use the TOC; almost never read any other junk up
front. In other books I read everything.

- Yes, I agree that in technical docs readers want quick info and
answers, not exposition or marketing blah or paragraphs of any kind.
Here's how I rate the value of front matter:

- vital: title page, copyright page, TOC, list of figures, list
of tables
- standard, but read only by us word nerds: preface
- puffery: acknowledgements, any thank-yous

The preface contains the reason for this doc's existence, 25 words or
less describing the product, list of related docs, conventions used in
the doc, and a thank-you to the readers with a request that they let you
know how they liked and used the doc.

When I see "where to find ..." or "about this book" garbage, I feel
like I'm dealing with kindergartners. If the title and TOC don't tell
them "about this book," you haven't done your job.

- Do I use them? I use whatever the pubs dept format, style, and
standard is. I do everything I can to influence those decisions.

Well, you asked.
jb
This leads to several questions for general discussion:
1. Do *you* read front matter?
2. Do you agree with Ms. Thoma that most people *don't read*
prefaces or introductions?
2. Do you use a preface and/or introduction in your documents?
Why or why not?

=*= Beverly Parks =*= bparks -at- huachuca-emh1 -dot- army -dot- mil =*=
=*= "These opinions are mine, not my employer's." =*=