ESL & vice versa,etc.

Subject: ESL & vice versa,etc.
From: Dan Xiong Ding <dxding -at- RS6000 -dot- CMP -dot- ILSTU -dot- EDU>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 1995 11:16:51 -0600

Comments on Bill's and Sue's messages on vice versa and ESL:
I don't think vice versa will create a big problem for ESL readers if they can
read our manuals. Based on my teaching experiences in ESL, if readers are able
to read manuals, they should be able to understand some borrowed words like
vice versa, etc., i.e., etc. Also, it seems that whether ESL readers can
understand vice versa or not depends upon if the native language of the ESL
reader has the concept of vice versa, so if English has a corresponding word or
not seems less significant.
But I think Bill's suggestion is pretty good. That is, we should use a couple
of sentences in lieu of a term to avoid using borrowed words if we want avoid
all of them.
Dan Ding
English Department
Illinois State University
Normal, IL 61761
dxding -at- rs6000 -dot- cmp -dot- ilstu -dot- edu