Capitalization

Subject: Capitalization
From: "Travis D. Epes" <TravisE -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 1995 21:47:48 -0500

On 23 March William Hartzer made the statement:

>I find it utterly annoying to capitalize just the first letter of a word (be
it a
>filename or not) in the middle of a sentence. It's just bad grammar.

>Do you agree?????"

The answer to that question is a resounding no! Neither I nor the _Harbrace
College Handbook_ (in lieu of underlining) agree with that statement. In the
1951 edition of that manual (that was -- and still is, I understand -- used
as the college freshman reference for GRAMMAR and COMPOSITION) the discussion
of proper capitalization techniques begins on page 104. There are other
discussions on proper capitalization techniques for that may be found in
later issues of the same manual. Acceptable rules of GRAMMAR, including
punctuation and capitalization can be found in the reference manuals for the
majority of the current high-school and college entry-level composition
courses. None that I have seen agree with your expressed philosophy.

Just a thought for the day!

Travis Epes - - Senior Editor/Technical Writer
Technical Communications & Logistics Support
Electric Boat Division/General Dynamics
"wE Build thE Best" -- Submarines, that is!
TravisE -at- aol -dot- com