Proper noun use

Subject: Proper noun use
From: Sonja Draeger <sonja -at- HPATO -dot- AUS -dot- HP -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 1995 09:19:44 EDT

content-type:text/plain;charset=us-ascii
mime-version:1.0

It looks like most reference books don't cover this question, so we're turning
to the list for help.

The situation where we work is that a new product is being released, for which
we are writing online and paper documentation. Our problem relates to the way
we should refer to the product when we use its full name (the proper noun). The
name is three words long. For example, do we say

"X Y Z can do some amazing stuff."
"The X Y Z can do some amazing stuff."

It really gets down to if there should be a *the* before a proper noun. At first
it may seem a simple question, but trying it with lots of proper nouns we are no
longer sure what to write.

Your help is muchly appreaciated.

TVMIA

Sonja
sonja -at- hpato -dot- aus -dot- hp -dot- com