Re: Origin of spam

Subject: Re: Origin of spam
From: FRAMPTONR%river -dot- decnet -at- CANADA -dot- CA -dot- CCH -dot- COM
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 1995 17:40:00 EST

I've seen this thing about "spamming" go around several times and I was just
about to let it go, but I guess I'll have to throw in my bit about "spamming".
Undoubtably the bit about Monty Python is in it, but I think it goes back
further than that. I agree that spam is truely a tasteless morsel, but during
WWII it was a "free" item along with oleomargarine that you didn't have use
rationed coupons for. In other words you could eat as much spam as you wanted.
That's probably the root of the humor in the Monty Python piece. All through
my life I've hated margarine. About 5 years ago I bought a can of spam because
it was on sale. It still sits in my cupboard. I haven't been able to bring
myself to open it and eat it as punishment for buying it and I haven't been
able to give it to a food bank because I don't want to inflict it on another
human being--no matter how destitute. I think I'd rather starve than eat
another piece of spam.

Richard Frampton
San Rafael, California
(framptonr%river -dot- decnet -at- canada -dot- ca -dot- cch -dot- com)