Re: Origin of spam

Subject: Re: Origin of spam
From: Sue Heim <SUE -at- RIS -dot- RISINC -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 1995 09:01:04 PST

Geoff Hart elaborates on Spam with:

> Spam is an acronym (almost) for "spiced pork and ham". In short,
> canned, processed meat. This is one of those things you either love (I
> don't) or hate. The verb "to spam" comes from an old Monty Python skit
> in which the proprietor of a restaurant serves almost anything you
> want, except that it has to contain spam, and usually very little
> else. (Thus, to spam... to spread the stuff everywhere.) In the skit,
> there's a bunch of Vikings sitting around in the background singing
> about the glories of spam, something I never understood until I
> married a Dane (i.e., civilized Viking) and discovered that her entire
> clan loves spam (I'm talking 100% here)... any non-North American
> Danes lurking out there who can elaborate on this contribution to
> international cuisine? <grin>

To elaborate even further on the skit, isn't this the one where the
customer asks what's available. And the waiter replies with
everything with Spam (eggs with spam...)? Spam, spam and spam!!

I also have found that certain northern European citizens seem to
have an abnormal (to me) fascination with Spam. Friends that have
visited from Holland and other places make a point of stopping at the
local grocery before returning to Europe in order to stock up on some
canned goods (Spam, canned oysters and clams are two the come to
mind).

I know the above was totally off the writing topic, but I felt the
need to "share!" <grin>

...sue
Sue Heim
Research Information Systems
Email: Sue -at- ris -dot- risinc -dot- com