Re: Splitting up a big Word file

Subject: Re: Splitting up a big Word file
From: "Sevigny, Josee" <joseey -at- M3ISYSTEMS -dot- QC -dot- CA>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 1995 12:03:02 -0500

>>Chani Sacharen wonders... How do you split up your big Word files, and
still keep those cross references, tables of contents and index?
>To which Sue Gallagher responds: I'm not sure how this handles cross
references because I don't use that feature, but this procedure will produce
a toc and index from multiple word files...
>Create a new document
>Select Insert>Code>tables&indexes RD (RD stands for reference document)
>Include the full path to the document and create one RD statement for each
doc to be referenced, for example... RD<c:\docstuf\chap1.doc>...
>Open this document when you want to generate the TOC and index. They will
magically appear!

This is what I use except I leave out the path since documents are being
moved around within our group. The thing is that if you leave the path out,
you simply need to set the current directory to where your files are
(File/Open/ move to desired dir., don't select any file, click OK, than Cancel).

Also, you might want to set Bookmarks in your "Referenced Documents" for
every thing you are going to reference. In your "current" file, you use
{INCLUDETEXT "filename.ext" bookmarkname [switches]}. You cannot get the
page number, or chapter number automatically. But you could always include
the chapter number as part of the bookmark name. The page number is bound to
change anyway, but chapters are fairly stable.