Re: Bound Volumes--3-ring binders

Subject: Re: Bound Volumes--3-ring binders
From: Robert Plamondon <robert -at- PLAMONDON -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 1995 21:29:19 PST

> That is precisely the reason we use three-ring binders. Then, when
> only one chapter needs updated, we replace that one chapter in all of
> our stock, and the rest of the manual is left alone (saves *a lot* of
> paper--considering we may have 50 or so manuals in stock)!

My experience is that:

1. Binding is cheaper than binders.
2. Updating binders is slow, which makes it surprisingly expensive.
3. Updates almost always affect more than a single chapter (the
table of contents and index are usually affected, if nothing else,
tripling the labor of the update).
4. If you stock few enough binders that you can imagine updating them
manually, you can also make them to order. For example, you can
use a duplexing laser printer (such as an HP LaserJet IV Si/MX)
to print the entire manual out for each order, using pre-drilled
paper so you don't have to punch it. If you printed it from the
official on-line master, you would never have to do page updates.
5. Binders don't fit in salesmen's briefcases.

-- Robert