What would you like your boss to know?

Subject: What would you like your boss to know?
From: Mel McNichols <MMCNICHOLS -at- DELPHI -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 1995 22:59:21 -0500

I'm a lame duck writing teacher at a branch campus of Enormous
State Univ. and a tech/business writing consultant on the side.
Our dean would like to incorporate a small business and
technical writing package into the curriculum here, aimed both
at the future businesspeople and techies in our undergraduate
population, and at continuing students already active in
business and technology locally. My job is to write the report
educating her on the subject.

Since I'm not particularly enthusiastic about the things
academics have to say about tech/business writing needs, I'm
slanting the report from my experience in industry. What I
would like to hear from my colleagues who work for a living is
this: What would you like your bosses and colleagues
(non-writerly) to know about the writing end of things? What
sort of stuff should they know about what you do?

Please reply to me or to the list. I won't use your name or
other identifying information unless you specifically give
permission in your reply (just say "OK" at the end if you don't
mind), but I would appreciate ten words or so on your
experience and position. Thanks.

Mel McNichols
mmcnichols -at- delphi -dot- com